Monday, July 27, 2009

Success is tons of discipline (6/7/09)

Success is tons of discipline

Self-discipline is the key

I realized that of late I had slipped from my commitment and consistency to my second job, and all my systems were beginning to testify of that. Success comes through commitment and consistence; commitment and consistence requires self-discipline; and self-discipline is simply ‘doing what you should be doing, when you should be doing it, whether you feel like it or not’. I have slowly dragged myself back into the commitment to my second job. This is because I also made a commitment to myself that I should never teach what I don’t practice. I refuse to be a bridge that helps people cross a river but never itself cross the river; or a signpost that points people to their destinations but never gets there itself but I would rather like to be a guide that will take people where I have been; and show them the peaks and valleys I have waded through and above all, let the world know that through Christ there is nothing impossible.

 

There is a season for exit

In the past week I had the privilege of being invited to bless the farewell function for one of the local traditional leaders, the Chief, whom I had interacted with on several occasions, who was going on retirement. In my very brief comments I highlighted to the people that this was more than just a gathering to say good-bye but it was a gathering to celebrate a legacy; to celebrate the life of a leader who has done his duty and has handed over the button stick. In Africa leaders don’t let go of power that easily and voluntarily. One of the marks of great leaders is the ability to say good bye and the ability to know when to say goodbye. One of the things that made Nelson Mandela such a great statesmen is not necessarily the 27 years he spent in Robben Island prison but is the sensitivity to know when to say good-bye to office; the office which he had paid for with his dear life and had every reason to have demanded to enjoy it a bit longer just like everyone else. But he said goodbye to the office. Great leaders don’t overstay their welcome or outlive their relevance in office; they say good-bye at the right time. Great leaders prepare to leave office from the day they get into office, by grooming capable successors. Moses raised Joshua; Elijah raised Elisha; David raised Solomon and Paul raised Timothy. Great leaders don’t miss the seasons; they don’t miss their exit season. ‘To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:’ (Ecclesiastes 3 v 1) don’t miss your seasons?

 

Reach out for more

One day we must celebrate your legacy! That means you must not passively sleep-walk through life; but you must actively participate in the unfolding of your future. You must remember that the future is what you make it. It’s the small decisions and choices you make everyday that counts. The future comes one day at a time, so don’t miss it. There are those around you that will help you shape your future. Don’t miss out on them when they point you to your destiny. When Mary greeted Elizabeth, the baby leaped in her womb (Luke 1 v 41). Don’t miss out on those that will speak and cause that which is conceived in you to leap in confirmation of your calling and destiny. Don’t settle for less because you were made for more. Jabez demanded an enlargement of his territories from God, ‘Oh, God, that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me!’ (1 Chronicles 4 v 10).

 

By the way, in case you were still wondering about my second job; it’s just my routine workout on the treadmill in my gym. Success is tons of discipline.

 

Calvary love 

Peter Mbada

 

Check other articles on: www.pmbada.org  and www.pmbada.blogspot.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment